For years, I’ve been obsessing over finding the perfect set of colours for this website, my coding environment, presentations, data visualizations, and even some of my crafting designs. I want a palette that
- expresses my identity;
- is comfortable to look at for hours on end;
- consists of colours I love individually,
- …but which also work harmoniously together;
- has enough contrast to clearly convey information in data visualizations,
- …but isn’t too heavy on warm colours;
- offers plenty of shades, tints, and other variants to flexibly adapt to different purposes and media,
- …but doesn’t involve so many degrees of freedom that I get overwelmed.
It’s a hard task, especially for someone with zero expertise in the art and science of colour, but at least once a year I get dragged down a rabbit hole of tweaking, testing, and comparing various colour systems. Certain elements, like the centrality of blue and pink, have been fairly consistent for a while, but I’ll likely still be making changes for years to come. This page shows the current list of colours I’m experimenting with.